Laboratory & Test Environments
Currently managing five R&D laboratories for the FAA, Concepts Beyond has established itself as a leader in Laboratory Management and Test. From planning to design to life cycle support, Concepts Beyond can deliver the technical expertise to provide state-of-the art laboratory facilities.
Laboratories supported by Concepts Beyond
Laboratories and test environments are critical to R&D efforts, allowing for new concepts to be prototyped, demonstrated, and evaluated at an early stage. This allows for the concepts to be evaluated and allowing adjustments to be made to improve the concept or capability, and facilitates decision making on whether to continue researching the capability or begin transitioning to implementation. Ultimately, test environments help expedite capability development and reduce risk in investment decisions.
Concepts Beyond has extensive experience in strategic planning and design of laboratory facilities and systems, such as the Florida NextGen Test Bed (FTB). Managed by the FAA William J Hughes Technical Center (WJHTC) and located in Daytona Beach, FL, the FTB is configured with R&D versions of operational National Airspace System (NAS) systems and analysis tools allowing NextGen demonstrations to be conducted in a way that promotes partnerships with industry, academia, and government.
Concepts Beyond provides technical and strategic programmatic and air traffic management planning, and aviation expertise for the design of the facilities and systems and ongoing management of the FTB. Concepts Beyond developed a governance framework, processes, and agreements for government, industry, and academia to have mutual benefit in collaborating together to find innovative solutions for aviation. This promotes the unique environment where industry and academia are encouraged to collaborate at the FTB outside of the traditional government procurement process.
Florida Test Bed Demonstration Suite
Florida Test Bed (FTB)
The FTB consists of a 5,000 square foot Demonstration Suite used to conduct demonstrations of the operational capabilities, and a 5,000 square foot Integration Suite used to carry out development, test, and integration efforts for the operational capabilities being evaluated at the Test Bed. Other features of the FTB include:
– Two main areas for concurrent demonstration & integration work
– Data Center for server hosting & telecom
– Raised floor for easy reconfiguration of systems
– Reconfigurable furnishings and partitions to suit demonstration activity needs
– Conference room and meeting space
Concepts Beyond also supports the NextGen Integration and Evaluation Capability (NIEC) lab located at the FAA William J. Hughes Technical Center (WJHTC) in Atlantic City, New Jersey. The NIEC lab is used to conduct early-stage proof of concept studies and rapid prototyping. The NIEC complements and provides easy integration with other NAS facilities and aviation based systems located at the WJHTC.
Concepts Beyond also supports the following labs:
– The Research Development and Human Factors Laboratory (RDHFL) is a multifunctional facility capable of human factors research for air traffic control systems in the NAS.
– The Oceanic Integration and Interoperability Facility (OIIF) is used to perform early integration and interoperability evaluations of new concepts, subsystems, functions, prototypes, or advanced technologies in the oceanic air traffic environment.
– The En Route Integration and Interoperability Facility (EIIF) is used to perform early integration and interoperability evaluations of new concepts, subsystems, functions, prototypes, or advanced technologies in the en-route air traffic environment.
For further information about any of the Laboratory and Test Environments or our support of them, please contact Concepts Beyond.